All Posts in

May 9, 2025 - Comments Off on Cyber Blasphemy: Three More Death Sentences Spark Alarm Over Digital Rights

Cyber Blasphemy: Three More Death Sentences Spark Alarm Over Digital Rights

An Islamabad court has handed down three additional death sentences in cyber blasphemy cases under the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (PECA), bringing the total to 11 since September 2024.

The verdicts come amid mounting concerns over alleged entrapment, manipulated evidence, and collusion between FIA officials and a group known as the “Legal Commission on Blasphemy Pakistan.”

According to a leaked Punjab Special Branch report, dozens may have been falsely accused in what it called the "Blasphemy Business." Families of 101 accused have petitioned the Islamabad High Court for an independent inquiry.

Defense lawyers criticized the trials as biased and lacking procedural fairness, alleging the same pattern of evidence and charges in multiple cases.

One defense lawyer said his client, a university student, was lured with a fake job offer before being arrested. Another said his client had performed Umrah shortly before being accused.

The complainant admitted to using a fake Facebook profile and could not recall key details about the case.

Human rights groups warn the expanding use of PECA for blasphemy prosecutions poses grave risks to freedom of expression and due process in Pakistan’s digital space.

Source: https://nukta.com/cyber-blasphemy-death-penalty

May 9, 2025 - Comments Off on Flood of Misinformation Clouds India-Pakistan Tensions

Flood of Misinformation Clouds India-Pakistan Tensions

As tensions rise between India and Pakistan, social media platforms are being overwhelmed with misinformation, including fake videos, AI-generated imagery, and mislabelled conflict footage.

Since the early hours of 7 May, fact-checkers and digital forensics teams have debunked dozens of viral posts. False claims range from AI-generated drone footage to simulations and old war footage from Gaza, Ukraine, and even video games.

Indian and Pakistani media outlets, as well as prominent journalists, have circulated outdated or fabricated visuals, including a missile clip from Israel’s 2023 Gaza strikes and footage from the 2020 Beirut explosion.

India's Press Information Bureau has flagged at least 21 fake posts, including a widely shared civil defence “advisory” that it labelled as misinformation.

Experts warn that algorithm-driven content prioritizes engagement over truth, fueling an online information war where the line between fact and fiction continues to blur.

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/operation-sindoor-fake-news-india-pakistan-strikes-b2747183.html

May 9, 2025 - Comments Off on X Pushes Back Against Indian Government’s Censorship Orders

X Pushes Back Against Indian Government’s Censorship Orders

Social media platform X (formerly Twitter) has pushed back against executive orders from the Indian government demanding the blocking of over 8,000 accounts, including those of journalists, international media, and prominent users.

In a statement, X revealed it was threatened with fines and imprisonment of staff in India if it failed to comply. The platform is withholding some accounts locally but has publicly opposed the orders, calling them vague, unjustified, and a threat to free speech.

X emphasized the importance of transparency and urged impacted users to seek legal relief, noting that it is currently restricted by Indian law from challenging the orders itself.

The move comes amid India’s escalating conflict with Pakistan, during which it has already blocked several Pakistani news outlets and voices online.

Following this statement, fact-checkers reported that the X account @GlobalAffairs (via which the statement was published) has also been withheld in India.

Media organizations blocked in India so far are Maktoob Media, The Kashmiriyat, The Wire.in and Free Press Kashmir. The Wire.in  has called this a “clear violation of the Constitutional guarantee of freedom of the press.”

Source: https://tribune.com.pk/story/2544747/x-refuses-indias-request-to-block-8000-accounts

May 9, 2025 - Comments Off on Pakistan’s Economic Affairs Division X Account Hacked Amid Rising Tensions

Pakistan’s Economic Affairs Division X Account Hacked Amid Rising Tensions

Pakistan's Ministry of Economic Affairs reported that its official X (formerly Twitter) account was compromised on Friday, following the appearance of a post appealing to international partners for additional loans amid escalating tensions with India. Source: ssb crack

The unauthorized post stated: "Govt of Pakistan appeals to International Partners for more loans after heavy losses inflicted by the enemy. Amid escalating war and stocks crash, we urge international partners to help de-escalate." Source: Profit Pakistan

In response, the Ministry clarified that the message was not officially sanctioned and that efforts were underway to regain control of the account. The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting's fact-checking wing labeled the post as "fake," asserting that the account had been hacked. Source: Express Tribune 

This incident occurs amidst heightened geopolitical tensions following India's recent military operations, including "Operation Sindoor," targeting alleged terrorist infrastructures in Pakistan. The situation has led to increased cyber activities, with both nations accusing each other of digital intrusions. Source: Times of India

May 8, 2025 - Comments Off on PTA responds to cyberattacks, Indian social media blockade

PTA responds to cyberattacks, Indian social media blockade

In response to coordinated cyberattacks and an ongoing social media blockade imposed by India, the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) confirmed it is actively monitoring threats to national digital infrastructure. The PTA acknowledged reports of distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks targeting key Pakistani digital services and vowed to bolster technical protections. It also criticised the Indian government’s moves to block access to Pakistani platforms, including the accounts of several celebrities and news outlets. The PTA stressed the need for global tech platforms to uphold neutrality and not bow to geopolitical pressure. It further called on users to remain vigilant and verify online content as tensions escalate.

May 8, 2025 - Comments Off on Senior NADRA Official Arrested for Alleged Anti-Army Remarks in WhatsApp Group Under PECA

Senior NADRA Official Arrested for Alleged Anti-Army Remarks in WhatsApp Group Under PECA

A senior National Database & Registration Authority (NADRA) official in Lahore was arrested by the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) for allegedly sharing derogatory remarks about the Pakistan Army in a NADRA employees’ WhatsApp group. According to the First Information Report (FIR) filed that day, the accused (identified as Hina Rehman Sheikh, a senior executive at NADRA Lahore) had posted content deemed a “mischievous act of subversion” against the Army and the state. The FIR cites offences under Sections 20, 24, 24(A) and 26A of the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (PECA) 2016 in this case. Journalist Zahid Gishkori also confirmed the arrest on social media, reporting that a senior NADRA officer was detained for sharing an anti-Army remark via WhatsApp.

Copy of FIRs:

May 8, 2025 - Comments Off on Pakistan Blocks Dozens of Indian YouTube Channels, Websites Over ‘Anti-Pakistan Propaganda’

Pakistan Blocks Dozens of Indian YouTube Channels, Websites Over ‘Anti-Pakistan Propaganda’

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has blocked 16 Indian YouTube news channels, 31 YouTube video links, and 32 websites, citing concerns over “false information and anti-Pakistan propaganda.”

In a statement released Wednesday, the PTA said the content targeted in the crackdown was spreading “misleading and harmful narratives aimed at manipulating public perception and undermining national unity.” The move comes amid heightened regional tensions following cross-border hostilities.

Describing the decision as a matter of national security, the PTA reiterated its commitment to defending Pakistan’s digital landscape. “This action has been taken in light of the prevailing regional situation to safeguard national security,” the authority stated.

The PTA did not name the blocked outlets but confirmed that the content in question was part of coordinated misinformation campaigns. The authority also urged citizens to report suspicious content, pledging continued vigilance against disinformation.

The National Security Council echoed the PTA’s concerns, condemning India’s “illegal acts” and reaffirming Pakistan’s right to respond in self-defence.

Source: https://www.brecorder.com/news/40361491/pta-blocks-79-indian-digital-platforms-for-spreading-anti-pakistan-propaganda?fbclid=IwY2xjawKIRZtleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHtkpYtudubidhY7w0pDd4No7EK5mHk7755SnPLJq8o8a6tk4pQS3I-drwMvp_aem_8HqNMjeJJAiW32N-5qHcxw

May 8, 2025 - Comments Off on Meta Blocks Muslim News Page in India Amid Escalating Tensions

Meta Blocks Muslim News Page in India Amid Escalating Tensions

Meta has restricted access to the @Muslim Instagram account (6.7M followers) in India following a legal request from the Indian government. The platform cited its policy of complying with content restrictions that allegedly violate local laws.

Ameer Al-Khatahtbeh, the page’s founder, condemned the move as censorship, saying: “When platforms and countries try to silence media, it tells us that we are doing our job.”

The ban comes amid India’s broader crackdown on Pakistani digital content during its conflict with Pakistan. Indian authorities have already blocked accounts of Pakistani actors, cricketers, and over a dozen YouTube channels.

Meta has not commented further but directed media to its standard legal compliance page. The development occurs as violence escalates between the nuclear-armed neighbors, prompting global concern over regional stability.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2025/may/08/meta-instagram-muslim-news-page

May 7, 2025 - Comments Off on Pakistan Issues Cybersecurity Advisory Amid Escalating India Tensions

Pakistan Issues Cybersecurity Advisory Amid Escalating India Tensions

As tensions with India intensify, Pakistan’s National Cyber Emergency Response Team (CERT) has issued a cybersecurity advisory warning of a surge in cyberattacks and misinformation campaigns targeting national infrastructure.

The advisory highlights that hostile actors are exploiting the regional conflict to spread disinformation, phishing attempts, and fake news via social media and messaging platforms to destabilize public perception.

“Hostile elements are trying to sow chaos and exploit uncertainty,” the advisory noted, urging citizens not to share unverified updates, especially via WhatsApp or X.

CERT called for extreme caution when clicking on suspicious links or engaging with questionable content, emphasizing the need to rely solely on trusted, official sources.

The advisory follows India’s recent airstrikes on Pakistani cities and the Pakistan military’s retaliation, which reportedly downed five Indian jets. Government officials have warned of continued digital warfare alongside conventional military escalations.

CERT has recently requested citizens to join its WhatsApp channel to stay updated on comprehensive cybersecurity updates including verified threats, official advisories, disinformation alerts, best practices, and emergency responses. The channel can be joined via this link: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaN7FrQHVvTcbX9KmI26

Source: https://www.samaa.tv/2087333043-cert-warns-pakistan-of-growing-cyber-attacks-amid-india-tensions#google_vignette

May 7, 2025 - Comments Off on Partial Restoration of X (Twitter) Amid Ongoing Regional Tensions

Partial Restoration of X (Twitter) Amid Ongoing Regional Tensions

After months of state-imposed restrictions, access to X (formerly Twitter) has been partially restored in Pakistan without the use of VPNs or proxies. The platform had been largely inaccessible since the February 2024 general elections, forcing millions to rely on third-party tools.

 

This development comes amid escalating military tensions with India. Earlier this week, DG ISPR Lt Gen Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry confirmed Indian airstrikes on six Pakistani locations, resulting in civilian casualties. In response, Pakistan reportedly shot down five Indian aircraft that had entered via Indian airspace.

Source: https://tribune.com.pk/story/2544463/access-to-x-partially-restored-in-pakistan